The Victoria Cross was instituted during the Crimean War by Royal
Warrant on 29th January 1856 to honour extreme acts of valour carried
out in the face of the enemy.
All persons considered for the award were to be on a perfectly even
footing "neither rank, nor long service, nor wounds, nor any
other circumstance or condition whatsoever, save the merit of conspicuous
bravery . . ."
The first investiture was held in Hyde Park on 26th June 1857. Queen
Victoria decorated sixty-two men, twelve were Naval personnel and
two were Royal Marines.
Click on the pictures below to open the individuals citation and